Saturday, October 23, 2010

Creative Draw of the Day: Eight of Swords

This trapped, bound and blindfolded figure strikes me as female, but gender-bending is perfectly acceptable in the Tarot. For story purposes, the character represented by this card can be either a man or a woman.

Swords represent the element Air, which in turn represents the mind and intelligence. This character may be caught in the web of a cunning villain--or this character may be suffering from mental illness. A serious addiction is also a possibility.

In fact, I think addiction is my favorite option, story-wise. This woman can free herself by using the swords to cut through the binding, but the swords will likely cut her as well. Recovery from an addiction can be equally possible--but equally painful and difficult.

I have one story, in play-form, that deals with addiction. It's called Searching and Fearless; it was my Script Frenzy project. After NaNoWriMo, it may be time for me to revise it and put it in prose form . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment