Monday, February 21, 2011

Article Recs

Happy Presidents Day, Arkhamites! Since I have the day off, I got up at the crack of noon and caught up on some blog posts and articles. Here are three of my favorites:

1. 20 Tips for Writing the Cozy or Traditional Mystery

Josh Lanyon's tips are an entertaining review of the rules of the genre. I especially like that Josh admits that some rules only apply if you want a mainstream publisher:

17 - Bad words are a no-no. Cozy readers take a dim view of potty mouths. The F-word is verboten, and taking the Lord's name in vain will send you straight to publishing Hell. Obviously I’m talking to those of you with an eye on a mainstream publisher. The rest of us can do whatever the fuck we like.

2. A Life in Books: C. J. Sansom

I found this googling for more information on C. J. Sansom.  It's an indepth-interview with the man, focusing on his Matthew Shardlake mysteries.  I liked reading about how he knew he would have to get rid of sidekick Mark from Dissolution in favor of the "meatier" Jack Barak for the rest of the series.

3. Bankrupt!

Oy--Borders has filed Chapter 11. This post explains what that will mean to authors.

Enjoy the posts--and feel free to share your thoughts on them!

No comments:

Post a Comment